I have said this several times and others from Mobile agree... Give me a hurricane any day of the week over a tornado. Ever since I moved to Montevallo for college, I have been extremely uneasy whenever any of those tornado sirens go off. Granted we had a few scares with hurricanes in Mobile, but they just don't seem to cause the extreme damage that tornadoes cause. I can't thank God enough that my family and home were left extremely unscathed compared to just about everyone else in the area. We were without power for about 12 hours on Wednesday, but that is the extent of damage. We didn't have any trees down or hardly any limbs down in the yard. It was a wake up call when Gabe came home early afternoon yesterday with pictures of his grandparents yard or to see all the amazingly scary pictures posted on Facebook, etc. I'm stealing a few pictures that Beth took of Grandmother and Granddaddy's yard. Those massive beautiful oak trees they planted so many years ago were knocked down, but luckily didn't damage their home.
With Pop in this picture, you can really tell how massive these trees were.
It's crazy to think that Gabe, Meagan, Abby and I were at the Krispy Kreme in Tuscaloosa just a few weeks ago and now there is nothing left of it. I spoke to a friend of mine who lives in Northport and luckily they are fine, but she knew a girl who lived right behind that Krispy Kreme that didn't make it. Gabe said there were several Regions employees that lost their homes completely. It's just so surreal to look at the pictures on CNN and other news websites to realize that those pictures could have been of Leeds/Moody if the mile wide tornado had taken a path about 15 miles south of where it hit. This whole thing has been a sobering experience. All I can do is just pray...



No comments:
Post a Comment