Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 4th Weekend and Status Update

We visited Gigi and Pawpaw in Mobile for the July 4th weekend.  We headed down Saturday morning and the trip overall wasn't bad (except a stint of about 45 minutes when we were either stopped or just creeping along I-65).  It was really smooth sailing once we passed all the beach exits.  Nicholas did really well thanks to several movies keeping him preoccupied. 

Over the weekend, we ate like kings in Mobile with steaks on Saturday, a shrimp boil on Sunday (thanks to Brian and Cindy for that one) and then pork tenderloin on Monday.  Gabe and I were even able to get away for about half a day and let Gigi and Pawpaw dote on Nicholas a bit.  We headed over to Biloxi Sunday afternoon.  This time I remembered my license and yet did not get carded even once.  Oh well.  We first visited the Beau Rivage, which was extremely busy and wasn't that kind to us monetarily, so we took Cindy's recommendation of the Palace Casino.  This one was much nicer to us (we actually came home with a little more money than we brought - thanks in part to Gabe's work at a blackjack table and me mistakenly hitting the max bet button on a slot, which worked out in my favor) and with a smoke free environment it was much cleaner as well.  We had a good time just getting away for a bit.

For the 4th, mom and dad mentioned going over to Brian and Cindy's house (my aunt and uncle) to watch fireworks.  They apparently have a neighbor that puts on an amazing fireworks show.  We said sure why not, since we weren't about to trek downtown to watch the city version.  Needless to say the show we saw was probably 10 times better than what Mobile put on.  No joke...  The fireworks started around 8:45 and last a FULL HOUR!!  They looked professionally done and were as big as city shows.  The nicest part about it was we watched the whole thing from their screened-in porch.  Can't beat that.  I was surprised by Nicholas' reaction to the fireworks (or lack thereof I should say).  He watched a little bit, but wasn't all that interested.  Luckily he wasn't bothered by the noise at all.  Nicholas did really well sleeping in the pack n' play even though he just about had to sleep diagonally just to fit in it, which brings me to the latest stats update for him.

I took Nicholas to the doctor this morning for a belated 2 year well visit.  According to the pediatrician, he is 36 1/2 inches long (90%) and 28 lbs (50%).  The doctor said he is doing really well.  Nicholas did have one shot he had to get today, but recovered quickly.  His next check-up will be at 3 years old.  I can't thank God enough for how healthy Nicholas has been since he was born.  Hopefully that trend will continue...   

I was bad about taking pictures this past weekend, but here is one Gabe got of Nicholas "swimming" in Gigi and Pawpaw's backyard.  He loved playing in water and with their tennis balls most of the weekend.  I hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend! 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment