Friday, January 17, 2014

Three Weeks Old

Today Nathan is 3 weeks old!  I'm still amazed at how different this experience is vs. what happened with Nicholas.  Nathan is nursing really well and typically goes 2-3 hours between feedings, but on occasion will go up to 4 hours.  We have attempted to give him one bottle on January 12 (Mimi's birthday).  It was a little messy, but he did manage to drink about an ounce from it.  Soon I will really try to start pumping, so that I can get away for more than 2 hours at a time. 

As far as sleep is concerned, Nathan has done great!  He sleeps on his back and in his crib (both of which Nicholas was not a fan of).  He also seems to have his days and nights on track, as I can nurse him and almost immediately put him back down throughout the night.  This makes things SO much better for mom and dad, since we are able to get some sleep.  Nathan will mainly go 3 hours between feedings at night. 

Nathan's umbilical cord came off Monday morning - I found it when I unzipped his sleep sack that morning to change his diaper.  So we were able to give him his first real bath this week.  He really seemed to enjoy it and pretty much stared at himself in the mirror the whole time.  We have noticed that he is starting to focus more on faces now.  He has had his fussy moments/hours, but for the most part he is a content baby.  There was one stretch last week where he seemed unusually gassy, so I decided to give up my caffeine free cokes to see if that helped and I think it did.  Luckily we have not had to drive him around in order to settle him down or call in for back-up (AKA Mimi) to relieve us at 2am. 

Nicholas is still in love with his baby brother and is so sweet to him.  Today I actually had a parent/teacher review to go over how he is doing in preschool and he is doing really well.  He listens and obeys in class and is following along well with the curriculum.  They have learned how to write and say about half the alphabet and up to the number 12.  He writes his name well (considering how long it is).  Even though he prefers Mimi to pick him up from school, he gets really excited to see baby brother in the back seat when I pick him up.  Thursday morning, he had a dentist appointment.  Nicholas does really well at these (it probably helps that they have TVs on the ceiling that allows him to watch movies the whole time).  They did try to do x-rays for the first time, but he choked on the piece you have to bite down on, so they decided to postpone until later.  The dentist says his teeth look great and will continue to review his overbite (for braces later on I assume). 


Since it has been so cold outside, we haven't attempted to take Nathan anywhere.  I'm definitely looking forward to warmer weather so we don't have to get everyone bundled up just to get in the car.  Next week is my check-up with Dr. Gregory as well a follow-up check-up for Nathan.  I am going to ask Dr. Whitaker about Nathan's eyes.  They have been watering/crusty for the past few weeks.  It doesn't seem to bother him, so I haven't worried about it too much.  Hopefully both appointments will go well...

No comments:

Post a Comment